*Update* Hi- as of March 2021, I don’t have any alpacas available but if you are interested and want to start learning about alpacas for the future, please request my FREE ebook. Info at the bottom of the page.
If you’re looking to get started with alpacas and want to start out small, there are a few important things to keep in mind. Alpacas are herd animals and will need a minimum of 3 to feel safe. You also need separate housing for males and females. So to start out, it is best to start with either 3 pet/fiber males or 3 females. If you want to grow your herd, start with 3 bred females if it is within your budget.
The typical gestation for alpacas is 335-355 days- and it takes another 6 months or so before the babies are weaned.
Alpacas will need a minimum of:
- 3 sided shelter with a top covering (carports work well)
- protection from predators (good fencing, guardian animals, secure night pen)
- shearing once a year
- access to pasture/hay and clean water
- CDT vaccine every few years (and any others that may be required in your area)
- fecal checks and deworming as needed
We have a FREE ebook you can request titled “Alpacas for Fun and Profit.” Just contact us and we will email it to you.
Now for some fun pictures…