It’s actually very easy to wash your Suri alpaca fleeces. Follow these tips below and you will have lovely clean fleeces to work with.
Alpaca Fleece Washing Tips:
- Make sure to pick out larger hay bits and pieces as well as you can.
- Shake out the dirt and smaller second cuts (super short pieces which will cause lumps in your yarn) on a wire mesh skirting table.
- Add dish soap or shampoo to LUKEWARM water and soak your fleece. It is very important to keep the water temperature almost the same to avoid felting your fleeces.
- After soaking, squeeze the water out of the fleece and refill your bucket with lukewarm water- do not agitate since this will also felt your fleece.
- Wash in clean water a few times until the water runs mostly clear. Then squeeze out the water without wringing your fiber.
- Dry naturally on a mesh table or other surfaces where the air can circulate beneath the fleece if possible.